Before electricity powered industry, shoreline gristmills harnessed the energy of incoming and outgoing tides to turn the mechanisms that ground grain into flour. Built by Jeremiah Williams sometime between 1715 and 1741, the Roslyn Grist Mill on Old Northern Boulevard is one of the few remaining mills on the North Shore. From 1920 to 1974, the grist mill building served as a teahouse and museum.
Working with the Village of Roslyn, the Roslyn Landmark Society and the Town of North Hempstead and Town Historian Howard Kroplick, Legislator Delia DeRiggi-Whitton secured funding towards this project, which was initiated by former Legislator Wayne Wink. County funding in the amount of $440,000 was finally approved in 2018. The remaining estimated $1 million needed for restoration is coming from municipal funding and private donations. This restoration phase includes raising the grist mill to street level and restoring the historic Dutch timber frames.
Visit roslynlandmarks.org for more information.